Welcome my corner of the www...

If you're still reading this I guess you want to know a little more about me. First and foremost I am a husband to Jen, the most amazing woman in the world, and I get to be dad for Alec and Madelyn, the two most amazing kids in the world...my family means everything to me, they are my oxygen - without them, I couldn't survive.

I love my job! I am the lighting and scenic designer at Heartland Community Church in Rockford, IL. I've been in this role for just over the past year now, and it's exactly what i love doing.

I just started this blog so check out some of my projects and check back often for more updates!

Monday, January 10, 2011

The giant grid





This was my biggest undertaking so far. I decided to cover the entire backdrop (50' X 24') with this wooden grid. We then randomly placed coraplast squares throughout. the black coraplast created negative space while the white squares created positive space that could capture the different colors.

I also decided for the first time to think out of the box and take the set beyond its normal dimensions by carrying it over to the ramps and under the side screens on each side of the stage. To do this we added an additional 16 feet in each ramp. This made for some great camera shots from our remote cameras that hang far house left and right. 

The grid is actually 18 individual 8x8 sections that we attached to eachother as we hung them. each opening in the grid is a 2X2 square.

This concept was borrowed from Northpoint Community Church




No comments:

Post a Comment