Welcome my corner of the www...

If you're still reading this I guess you want to know a little more about me. First and foremost I am a husband to Jen, the most amazing woman in the world, and I get to be dad for Alec and Madelyn, the two most amazing kids in the world...my family means everything to me, they are my oxygen - without them, I couldn't survive.

I love my job! I am the lighting and scenic designer at Heartland Community Church in Rockford, IL. I've been in this role for just over the past year now, and it's exactly what i love doing.

I just started this blog so check out some of my projects and check back often for more updates!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Waffles and bacon?

Not all of our sets are given nicknames (or proper names for that matter) but this set was affectionately refered  to as waffles and bacon! The breakfast food is actually made of luan plywood. The waffles were made from strips and then weaved together to make the 4X6 flats. The bacon is also luan that we attached to curved plywood pieces that gave it the wave shape. The waves also created some great shadow effects.

I decided to leave the luan in its natural state because i wanted to see the grain of the wood and it still soaked up the light colors rather well.

This concept was borrowed from North Point Community Church.







To build the "waffles" we made a jig that we laid a frame in and then were able to weave the luan strips together. we then air nailed it all together.



1 comment:

  1. this is amazing! i love the waffle design, how long have you done stage lighting?

    ReplyDelete